fot

Re: king bearings

To: "riverside" <riverside@Cedar-Rapids.net>, "fot" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: king bearings
From: "MARK J WEATHERS" <markjwea@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 04:57:07 -0700
Amici, I am trying to get my head around all the bearing discussions so I
can order a set for my TR6 but I have a few questions.

Let me see if I have the story straight:

1. Cast lead matrix bearings are better for racing application than sintered
aluminum, but hard to find.
2. Cast lead, tri-metal and lead bronze essentially are the same animal,
main difference is that they do not use aluminum as the matrix.
3. Vandervall are the preferred choice, but not sure if they are available,
John Kipping do you know if Heritage stilll supplies?
4. King makes bearings, of which some are heavy duty applications. John K
recommends KIng heavy duty. TRF supplies King, not sure if they are regular
or heavy duty. Art D, did you ever find out if King has the heavy duty
version for TRs?
5. There may be a heavy duty Glacier or Vandervall for MGB or Metro Turbo(?)
that would fit. I talked to Bob Yarwood, who Babcock said may have a supply
of TR Vandervall equivalents, he had none for TR6 and recommended using MGB
(gag). He said they were slightly wider but the only mod required was
grinding a new place for the locating tab. I assume this is the same
approach as John K mentioned.
6. Clevite 77 bearings are trimetal, but only aluminum ones are made for
TRs.

Can anyone shed light on this?

Thanks
Mark