fot

Re: king bearings

To: MARK J WEATHERS <markjwea@email.msn.com>,
Subject: Re: king bearings
From: matt matthews <mattspit@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 15:09:09 -0500
I have a 1500 FP Spitfire.

The previous owner was running second in the run offs when he broke (not the
engine) in the 80s. He did lots of testing to figure out how to make the
bottom end of this engine live. He said "don't use the aluminum bearings".
The clearances  in the 1500 engine are critical to its life. The aluminum
expands differently than the tri-metal. They will do, if nothing else is
available, but you will need to change them often.
I found this to be true when I put in what I thought was a tri-metal thrust
washer (coated) and found two things to occur. 1) the drained oil had a
different sheen, which I thought nothing of at the time. 2) the end float
increased more rapidly than it had with the previous thrust washer which was
tri-metal.

Counter to this is that Rick Cline told me he used aluminum bearings in his
engines and did not have any problems. (I did not discuss clearances or life
expectancy with him).

Matt