fot

Re: king bearings

To: "MARK J WEATHERS" <markjwea@email.msn.com>,
Subject: Re: king bearings
From: "John Kipping" <johnkipping@inet.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 09:32:31 +1200
Under hard use any alumimium type bearing is prone to shedding the surface.
In practice this means a TR6 will more than likely run with these type
bearings for years if used "normally". If you want to go racing, use high
revs a lot or just want bearings that are very slightly less likely to fail
then get some lead type ones.
Some years ago Heritage had a run of Vandervall mains done and as they were
quite expensive there are probably plenty left, I don't know they are any
better than the King heavy duty.
For the big ends you can use Glacier lead coppers which were made for the
diesel engine version of the MGB engine (possibly some small modifications
required), or again King heavy duty. (Strictly speaking the MGB type are for
a crank about .001" bigger but it doesn't seem to matter in practice).
Note that all TR5 and 6 bearings are the same as Spitfire IV and 1500 so a
big end set should cost 1.5 times a Spitfire one, and the mains 1.33 times
as much. TRF will certainly tell you the truth about the spec of their
bearings, some other suppliers probably aren't aware of any differences. As
the bearings themselves don't weigh very much you could order them from the
UK, to distinguish lead type from aluminium I suffixed part numbers with an
OE for original specification and you can search teh Canley Classics website
for prices. From memory the part numbers are 149081 and 149082 (these are 6
cylinder sets, TR5/6, Vitesse, GT6, 2000, 2500), Spitfire ones are RTC1753
and RTC1754. Somebody has tidied my desk and put my catalogue away.
John Kipping