fot

Re: out of fuel- I think?

To: Walt Hollowell <walt@hot-tr6.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: out of fuel- I think?
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 20:34:55 -0500
This is a problem most TR vintage racers run into when an engine like this
is run at full throttle for an extended period of time. The less expensive
fuel pumps will simply not supply enough fuel to an engine like this on
full song. When you have a pump like this, and have an in-cockpit fuel
pressure gauge, or if you are brave enough or stupid enough (that's me) to
stand and watch a fuel pressure gauge while a car with a hi performance
engine is run up on a chassis dyno, you can see the pressure drop off at
higher rpms, sometimes down to near zero.

One fix is simply to get a Holley fuel pump and regulator. The pump by
itself puts out too much pressure so you do need a regulator to get it down
to a pressure that our carburetors like.

Unfortunately, that is not an ideal fix either, because the Holley
regulators may (or may not) fail after a period of time and get erratic. No
one seems to know why because there's nothing to the innards of these
things, just a ball, diaphragm, and spring. The ultimate solution is to get
a $100 bypass regulator and run a return line to the tank, all of which
seems like real overkill, but it fixes the problem once and for all.