fot

Re: TR4 puzzler - oil system

To: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 puzzler - oil system
From: thomas strange <tstrange@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 22:43:21 -0700 (PDT)
Jack,
  I am not sure of galley diameters in the TR4, but in the spits, we have to
drill out the hole in the block that feeds the center main, to allow more flow,
and also enlarge the holes in the crank that feed the rod bearings.  Some
people also channel the caps, or cross drill to allow full circle oiling, as
our engines do not allow for that.  The bearings have the holes, but there is
no feed to the caps.
  I always assumed (;>).... that you guys did something similar with your
engines.  You might want to take a look at that.
  Good luck,
Tom

"Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net> wrote:
It seems that when the crank fails, it does so through fatigue, at the
undercut radius at the rear main. This I understand.

It seems that when a rod fails, it is mostly #2 and / or #3.

What puzzles me about this is that I would think it would be #1, but that
seldom happens. Why would I think this?

The oil from the pump / filter is piped to the main gallery immediately
behind the distributor bushing. The bushing bore and the main gallery
intersect, and the oil pump drive shaft bushing partly blocks the flow to
main #1. I would think that #1 would have the least flow.

I guess there are some things we mere mortals just aren't meant to understand.

uncle jack