fot

Soft Mounting SU's

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Soft Mounting SU's
From: Henry Frye <henry@henryfrye.com>
Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 08:21:55 -0400
Here's what I know about the subject.

The Weber soft mount kits can easily be adapted to work just fine. There
are different Weber soft mount kits out there. One type is a plastic block
with two grooves cut in it and two O-rings. I am pretty sure they will work
just fine, but they look a bit fiddley to install.

Here's a picture:

http://aptfast.com/Images_Parts/Weber_Carburetors/Soft_Mounts.jpg

Then you have the trick one piece item, the tabs to attach to the studs are
metal. Sort of looks like one big fat O-ring formed around a metal
retainer. As Joe B says, elongate the holes so they slip over two studs,
and Bob's your uncle. Well, he is after you replaced all the studs on the
intake manifold with longer ones...

Half way down, a picture of the one piece item:

http://www.rdent.com/pages/carblink.html

Then you have two different kinds of isolators for between the nyloc nuts
and carb flange. Metal springs and hard rubber. The link above shows the
hard rubber kind. I seem to remember hearing the metal spring kind is
better, but they fatigue and do not last forever.

One soft mount kit has the two big bits that go between the carb and the
intake manifold, but only comes with 4 little isolators for under the
nylocs. If you buy the trick kind from R Dent, everything is a la carte.
Obviously, you are going to need 8 isolators for under the nylocs, but I'd
recommend buying a bunch of extras, both the spring kind and the hard
rubber kind. I use some of both kinds on my setup.

I can't say how much these helped me, as I installed them for the first
time with a new set of carbs. All I can say is I'm not having much in the
way of carb issues at the moment.   ;-)