fot

Re: WATKINS GLEN

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: WATKINS GLEN
From: DSPGTi@aol.com
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 20:44:37 EDT
As a recent inductee to the FOT, I feel like an outsider waiting to
break into the network. Maybe the following comments won't help me
gain any points with the group but I feel I have to let my opinions
known.

My interest in Vintage racing started many years ago when I
pit crewed at Watkins Glenn for a friend of mine, Bill Sheilds, who
races an MGB, #149 with the SVRA. I had been racing in SCCA hillclimbs
for a few years with Bill and he knew I had a great interest in
vintage race cars, especially Triumph's. Even though we were not in
the same class at the hillclimbs, there was a level of competition
between us. I raced a VW Rabbit GTI in Street Prepared and Bill was in
Historic. Our times were very close and created a little rivalry
between us.

Being a long time fan and owner of TR3's, they were my first choice
for a vintage racer. A few trips to the Glenn made me think that if I
ever wanted to be competitive with the MGB's I'd have to use all the
potential that Triumph has to offer and choose to purchase an old 63
TR4 that was raced up to about 1976.  What I thought I was doing was
making a noble attempt to avenge the dominance that the MG has had at
the Glenn. At the time I didn't realize the significance of the MG
mark.  If you attended this years Zippo Grand Prix, you would be MG'd out.

To understand the dominance I guess you have to know the history.
Most of us have heard of the Collier Cup. Once you have attended the
Glenn event you get indoctrinated to the Collier story. The Collier
brothers started their racing career at Watkins Glenn, raced MG's
almost exclusively, got involved starting up local racing
organizations that eventually became the SCCA. With Sam Collier's
death on the old road coarse at the Glenn, he became a hero, hence the
start of the legend. So maybe we can sympathize with the significance
of history behind the mark and deal with the prodonderance of MG
competitors. If you happen to be a pre war MG , you could have raced
in your own class of Pre War plus the "T" class plus the Collier Cup 1
in addition to all of the practices. I'd have to say that most of the
T series MG's would need to be rebuilt after all of the track time.

Another problem that SVRA has is the lack of adherence to vintage
specifications. The top runners in the MG classes exceeded class
preparation rules. Group 3 finishers during qualifying races had
several cars crossing the scales under weight and being disqualified
from trophies. They didn't care, just wanted to race. I saw the MGA of
Kent Prather, 5 time SCCA Runoff Champion in G Production and favored
to win the 2004 Championship, sitting in a trailer but never saw him
run. I'd like to hear the story behind that but as yet have not heard
if he was refused or had some other problem.  I appoligize for my lack
of familiarity with the few FOT drivers that have regularly attended
the event. I was once introduced to George Wright and I have seen him
rapidly progress in skills and competition level. Dick Stockton is a
familiar name and a formidable competitor. A few others have impressed
me with their efforts but when you think of MG's in the hundreds,
where are the TR's?  While it may be true that if you are not in the
featured group for the Zippo GP you will not have an enormous amount
of track time unless you want to run the Enduro. The Collier Cup will
always be additional track time as an extra race for MG's.

But as someone else mentioned in a previous response, you have to
consider the whole event. It's a real happening. Yes, there was a more
favoritism then lottery when choosing the down town reenactment. If
you were lucky to get in, it was worth the price of investment for the
whole weekend. I have never seen such large and enthusiastic crowds
down town.  It's probably not in my place to be making any criticism
since after three years I still don't have my TR4 ready to compete,
but I hate to hear negative feedback of an event that truly belongs on
the list of one of the best race events let alone one of the best
vintage events in the country. They brag that the 2004 Zippo GP was
the largest vintage race car gathering in North America.  With over
500 entries, my guess is there were less then 20 TR's.

Admittadltly I have missed all of the TR featured races that have been
held over the past several years so maybe we have had the some ratio
of out numbering the competition. Again, I need to apologize for my
lack of historical reference since I attend very few events.  If there
is any chance that I have my TR ready for next years Watkins Glenn
Vintage Grand Prix, I'd like to think that there is going to be a
respectable showing of TR's. Even though I have a little respect for
the MG marque since I got my wife a 1978 MGB, her favorite car, there
is still the explanation of my signature after every email, RPTRTDMG
(Rather Push a TR Than Drive an MG).

Dave Y.