fot

RE: decking a tractor engine block

To: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: decking a tractor engine block
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 16:27:34 -0500
If the machining experience I've had in my previous life means
anything, it would really be a challenge for a machinist to set up
the block so that the counterbores for the bottoms of the liners are
at exactly a right angle to the boring machine spindle and thus
parallel to the top of the block. Which means, of course, that the
liners would set in the block at an angle. The only way you could
determine this is after the job is done and you've paid the bill and
you check the liner protrusion. In the long run, it's really better
to start with another block. Too bad the distance between us is so
great, because I have a couple blocks in storage and you could have one.

>Just out of curiosity (as the block in my now wrecked TR3A appears to have
>been cut wrong by the factory) ... is it impractical or impossible to cut
>the liner seats deeper in the block ?
>
>Randall

uncle jack