fot

RE: bearing help...

To: "'WEmery7451@aol.com'" <WEmery7451@aol.com>, tstrange@sbcglobal.net,
Subject: RE: bearing help...
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 11:28:38 -0700
I've gotten away with it a few times, when the damage to the crank was
absolutely minimal. I broke an oil pump shaft during a race and lost oil
pressure. Didn't shut the motor down immediately because I was in a bad
place. Better a blown motor than a crunched car. I pulled the pan at the
track and found only one rod journal with transferred metal, and that was
minimal. All the rod bearings had damage though, even though it was slight.
I cleaned up the journals--they looked fine--and replaced the bearings. I
also pulled the center main cap and found the bearing looked great. Didn't
replace that since you can't do the end mains with the engine in. Ran the
engine for the rest of the season with no problem. At the end of the season
I had scoring on the rear main. Had to grind the crank .010 to clean it up.
Only ground that one journal--I'll have a standard crank for as long as I
can since I have some really good bearings for it and only a few sets of
.010".