fot

Fw: Fw: Pneumatic shop lines

To: <REK46@aol.com>, "Bill Bartlett" <billbartlett@WingnutRacing.com>,
Subject: Fw: Fw: Pneumatic shop lines
From: "Charly Mitchel" <charly@mitchelplumbing.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 14:03:31 -0800
== fot at autox.team.net supported in part by Fat Chance Garage
==    http://fatchancegarage.com

----- Original Message -----
From: Charly Mitchel
To: REK46@aol.com
Sent: Friday, November 18, 2005 1:49 PM
Subject: Re: Fw: Pneumatic shop lines

I don't believe these statements are entirely true from my professional view
point.  We do see and install these copper airlines in commercial
establishments.  Copper air lines have been used for many years in pneumatic
controls also.   There is nothing wrong with copper air lines.  There is not a
problem with electrolysis in copper lines if there isn't any electrical charge
being produced as in water movement.  We connect copper to steel pipe in
heating system all the time and have no problem because of the lack of oxygen.
I'm not sure I know what galvanic corrosion is, but steel is the host material
when there is a problem, being copper is a more noble element. Copper lines
also should always be hung with copper hangers.
I have seen pin holes develop inside copper water lines when the iron content
of the water was very high, but I think were talking about something
different.
Do use black iron if you want to have rust build up in the lines.  If you
don't know what rust is, it's oxidation of iron: oxygen and water together
with iron.  Black iron has no protection against the oxidation.
You know the copper is getting the same bad wrap Lucas gets.  Everyone says
Lucas wiring sucks when actually Lucas doesn't make the wiring, at least not
in any cars I've worked on.  They all say RISTS on the tag.  British car
wiring is typically okay if someone has chopped it up.
Charly
TR6 #44