fot

Re: Pneumatic shop lines

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Pneumatic shop lines
From: "Charly Mitchel" <charly@mitchelplumbing.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 07:43:38 -0800
== fot at autox.team.net supported in part by Fat Chance Garage
==    http://fatchancegarage.com

Bill and all others interested,
I'm a plumbing contractor in Washington State, and pvc  piping is not
allowed for use in air piping here.  The reason is that when pvc breaks,
whether brittle from cold or not, it turns to shrapnel.  There have been
several injuries from the pvc exploding, whether by temperature or impact.
I run air lines for commercial use and we use copper or galvanized pipe.
Galvanized piping is easy to use and I believe is rated for close to 500
psi.  Copper pipe comes in different wall thickness's and I would recommend
no less than a type L copper.  Copper can be easier to install and modify,
but also costs more. You'll also have less chances of a leak with copper.
As far as running the lines, we always pitch the lines to one outlet and
make a means for draining water out of the end.  For your different drops,
we point the tee or elbow upwards and make a 180 degree turn back down to
the outlet.  This helps to keep any moisture from getting into the tool
outlets.  You may also want to install a water separator on the outlets
you're using the most.  I usually try to remember to spray something like
WD40 in the tool before use, WD40 is a great water displacer.
There is one other option which I have not tried, but saw advertised in
Griots Garage.  This is PEX tubing.  Pex is cross linked poly-ethylene
tubing.  It is a very good product and we use it for heating under floors.
It is rated at over 500 psi and will not burst.  The drawback about using
this piping is it doesn't run in straight lines very easy and wants to sag.
You might also need special tools to assemble it with, depending on brand.
It definitely would go together quicker.

Charly
TR6 #44