fot

[FOT] GT6 brake upgrade

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [FOT] GT6 brake upgrade
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 15:00:51 -0700 (PDT)
Maybe this is old news to some folks here, but *I* certainly
didn't know.

Years back, John Lye and Lee Janssen documented the tricks for
mounting Toyota 4-pot calipers on the TR3-6.

http://www.vtr.org/maintain/brake-conversion.shtml (free, again!)

Since my GT6+ uses the same caliper as the contemporary TR6, I
always thought this would be a good thing to try.

Years go by. I finally get my act together, convince the kid
behind the parts counter to sell me the right calipers (1981
Toyota Hilux, non-diesel, 4WD) and get the correct stepped bolts
from TRF. Push stuff away from Bubba and undo the old caliper.

Oh. Hmm. The dust shield, which I expect to have to trim, is
still there - and the hub/disk assembly has to come off. Bother.

A day later, go back, thinking that the unloaded caliper might fit
*over* the shield and give me a opportunity to draw a cut line
that I can attack with a die grinder.

Whoa! It just fits - the shield doesn't intrude on the caliper at all,
it's set up perfectly for the bigger caliper. Bolts up, pretty
evenly spaced. This is promising.

Go to the pile of wheels and pull out one of the original steel
wheels. Boy, those Rostyle wheel covers sure are ugly. Bolt it
up ... no clearance issues at all. Perfect.

Woohoo. Now I have to fiddle around with a bit of plumbing ... and wonder
if the similar vented caliper/disk combination might fit :-)

Enjoy,
chris