fot

RE: [FOT] removing pistons from calipers

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [FOT] removing pistons from calipers
From: "Randall" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 21:29:16 -0700
> Compressed air works fine, if a bit explosively, or you can use hydraulic
> pressure or a grease gun

In order to use those methods, you have to stop up the hole left by the first
piston to come out.  I generally clean up the piston that came out, and stuff it
back in, then use something like a big C-clamp to hold it there.  If you can't
get in there with a clamp, you may need to rig something like a steel bar and
clamps on either side.

IMO hydraulic pressure (from the car's braking system) is best, since shop air
is relatively low pressure, and grease leaves such an awful mess to clean up.
Before I'd use grease, I'd split the caliper (assuming you aren't talking about
an early TR3 caliper) and drill/tap the piston for a forcing screw.

Randall