fot

RE: [FOT] removing pistons from calipers

To: "'Barr, Scott'" <sbarr@mccarty-law.com>,
Subject: RE: [FOT] removing pistons from calipers
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 08:35:02 -0700
Nice to see that Barry agreed with me about the grease gun--it's the most
reliable and gentle approach. I use grease under pressure for a lot of weird
disassembly challenges because it can make up for bad seals, etc. and as
soon as the parts brake loose the motion stops--not so with air.

My other big trick for removing blind parts (like bushings) is a closely
fitting shaft and oil-soaked toilet paper. You stuff the toilet paper in
with the shaft and tap on it. Lather, rinse and repeat until the bushing
comes out. I think I learned that one from Greg Solow, though he says to use
water soaked toilet tissue. The oil is messier but seems more reliable.