fot

RE: [FOT] removing pistons from calipers

To: "Brad Kahler" <brad.kahler@141.com>, "fot" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [FOT] removing pistons from calipers
From: "barry rosenberg" <britcars@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 07:36:46 -0400
     I have been safely using grease pressure for over 30 years. Air
pressure can be dangerous if you are not careful, that is why I use grease.
A banjo fitting from something like a MG clutch master cylinder will bolt
into the line fitting of your caliper with a copper washer on both sides.
Screw a grease fitting into the banjo fitting and apply grease from your
grease gun. The pistons slide out nice and slow. If you have split the
caliper already, clamp it in a vise with a small piece of rubber over the
cross-over hole and apply grease. The piston will come out nice and slow.
When you have the pistons out, you can scoop out the grease, run it under
water and all the brake fluid washes off. Then you can use it as "shop
grease" This is for all the Jewish mechanics out there like me who do not
want to waste that much new grease. I get grief all the time about my used
grease.  Barry