fot

Re: [FOT] Race Car Prep

To: "Ron Jones" <earthron@yahoo.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [FOT] Race Car Prep
From: "Tim Murphy" <timmurph@fastbytes.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 12:33:01 -0500
We used an alternator out of an '88 RX-7.  It is a "compact" design.  Used
the original mounting bracket from the generator and made spacers to
properly position the alt. pulley with the water pump & crankshaft pulleys.
The bolt holes in the ears of the alt. were 12 MM so just had to be opened
up a little to use the 1/2" mounting bolt.
    FWIW  The Bosch book shows alternator speeds above 10,000 RPM.  Output
however flattens out around 5000.  Above about 5-6000 RPM the power losses,
mainly due to the fan, increase quite a bit.

Tim