fot

Re: [Fot] Driving Music

To: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>,<fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Driving Music
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 19:35:17 -0500
While the biggest Nano is 8 GB, all of the music is turned to MP-3's
(or AAC's) so you get somewhere around 250 songs per GB.  By using
MP-3's, I get well over 100 songs per 670 MB CD (my van's unit will
play MP-3 CD's and has a plug in for an i-Pod built into the face of
it).  So, the 8 GB Nano ends up with something like 2000 songs.  At
20 songs per CD, that's like 100 CD's.  Most of my store bought CD's
are closer to 15 songs.

When on the road, I can't tell the difference between an MP-3 encoded
at 128 bits or higher and the original source material, even when
testing the power output limits of my stereo.  At home, I can
somewhat discern the difference between the vinyl, the CD and the
MP-3.  Even there, I can't tell the difference between a CD and a 192
bit encoded MP-3.  But, it dramatically cuts down the file size from
the original CD's wave file.

I understand that there's another possible digital audio standard
coming that has much higher encoding / sampling levels than the CD
does.  That'll be cool - I'll feel like I can leave the vinyl behind then.

Not meaning to be critical or anything - I just want to educate why
iPods are SO cool.

- Tony

At 02:15 PM 4/4/2007, Randall Young wrote:
> > And the Nano iPod carries more songs than I can pack in even my largest CD
> > case.
>
>Largest Nano is 8 Gb, which is 12 CDs.  Sounds like you need a bigger CD
>case !
>
>:^)
>Randall
>(Tedious but unavoidable disclaimer follows)
<and snipped for brevity>