fot

Re: [Fot] Laguna Seca

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Laguna Seca
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 10:23:22 -0800
It's funny ... I have driven Laguna Seca a bunch, both in open wheel
cars and sedans, and I never found the Corkscrew particularly *scary*.
Challenging, yes - but I know the lineup points, and once you get them
right, you're basically committed. There's plenty of runoff if you screw
up. (Passing there, or being passed, is a different issue entirely)

What I find scary is 6 (I guess this was turn 3 in the old config, which
would have made it even scarier after the then-longest straight).
Braking needs to be done before the bridge, because there's a rise at
the bridge where the car gets too light to brake hard. Turn-in is almost
blind. There's a dip at the apex which presses the car down nicely when
you get it right - you can take the turn very fast if you're confident.

But if you screw up, you could end up in Salinas. That part always gets
to me!