fot

Re: [Fot] Moss Customer Service

To: Greg & Alison Blake <ablake2@austin.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Moss Customer Service
From: Michael Porter <mdporter@dfn.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 21:08:11 -0600
Greg & Alison Blake wrote:
> I am actually ok with the occasional problem as long as they continue to
> look for solutions.  If it means they can stay in business and continue
> to support a car that has been out of production for more than 50 years,
> that's good for me.

The major problem when something goes wrong is the time necessary to
research the problem--and getting to the root of it is just the first
step necessary to correct the problem.  Just getting a supplier to
acknowledge that a part is not to print is often like pulling teeth.
For example, I spent half a day today trying to get an axle supplier to
give me a good kit number for some service parts--the kit they said was
correct had one item which didn't match their own production bill of
material.  Never did get a good answer because I was sent to an email
address that didn't exist....

Years ago, at a company where I used to work, a designer that had been
gone for a while was back in the office, so I asked what he'd been up
to.  "Oh, been at the production line in Canada, fixing parts."  Fix
what parts?  "Well, seems that someone retired on the line, and his
replacement couldn't get any of the rear outer panels and brackets to
fit.  Turns out that the parts were made to print, but, the prints were
never right, the guy who'd retired could never get them fixed, so he
just reamed out the through holes until he could fit them."

Of course, that meant that whenever someone ordered those parts from
aftermarket, none of them fit, and they had to do the same thing.

> Now, can anyone at Moss find us some good lifters for the TR3/4???

This one should have been simple, and from all I've read, it's likely a
quality control problem, along with one of getting the bad ones weeded
out of stock.  Maybe combined with an original hardness specification
that just wasn't up to hard use.  Testing random samples of stock will
only tell you if they meet what's on the print....

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....