fot

Re: [Fot] explaination of fittings...

To: Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] explaination of fittings...
From: Bill Babcock <billb@bnj.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 08:40:19 -1000
Good advice except the part about not doing it yourself. I think anyone that
uses these things should learn how to make them up, you can't always get to a
shop, and it's not that hard. Tape with a couple of TIGHT wraps of masking
tape--not duct tape--it's too stretchy. Mark where you want your cut then wrap
another piece of colored masking tape so it's edge is on the mark to give you
a nice squared-up cutting line. Use a very fine toothed hacksaw blade--as fine
as you can find. stick the line in a vise and cut smoothly with light strokes.
Then follow the mfrs. directions. Don't take the tape off until you are ready
to stuff the line into the fitting.

On Mar 11, 2010, at 8:17 AM, Steven Belfer wrote:

> Hi Bobby,  Steve Belfer here.
>
> I was new to these fittings but have recently (within the past year) had
many custom AN lines made up to completely re-plumb the fuel system and
install an Accusump in the Trunk, and Oil cooler, as well as a custom line for
the oil press. gauge.  Sounds like what you're doing is pretty easy, and easy
to make a mistake too and spend extra money. The main way to screw it up is to
make the lines too short. You can always shorten them but can not lengthen
them. :)    1"ID is -16AN hose.  These are big but the right size for the
valve cover and crankcase vent.  You need to have a -16AN Male "Bung" welded
into the valve cover and catch tank.  Then you need to have a hose made up
that connects the valve cover to the catch tank.  This hose will be comprised
of the hose and two hose end fittings.  Hose end fittings come straight, or 45
degrees or 90 degrees.  They can also be purchased in bends up to 180 degrees
but you won't need that for this application.

> Find a local shop that can make up hoses for you.  I do not recommend doing
it yourself the first time.  The braided hose is cut with a special chop-saw.
You can tape it and cut yourself with a hack-saw or dremel but I've messed
this up by cutting at an angle or by fraying the braids. Find a good chop that
knows what they're doing and can shorten the line and rebuild the hose if you
need to make tweaks.

fot@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive