fot

Re: [Fot] explaination of fittings...

To: FOT <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] explaination of fittings...
From: Mark J Bradakis <mark@bradakis.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 13:02:15 -0700
I use a cutoff wheel in a die grinder to cut the hose, after taping.

Keep in mind that usually the inner hose is some sort of rubber,
and it can deteriorate over time and exposure to heat and solvents.
Fittings last longer than the hose.  With a bit of practice making up
hoses is pretty straightforward.

And as Kas mentions the outer braid is quite effective at wearing
through things it vibrates against.  I recall once at IVR I was
inspecting a Mallet Corvette that a fellow just purchased for some
large sum of money.  I was really amazed at some of the poor
quality workmanship on it.  The thing I had him deal with before
he took it out was that a braided oil line was hard against the cable
coming from the positive battery terminal.  It wouldn't take long for
that hose to gnaw through the insulation, I'm sure.

On a side note, the Mallet came back from Hallet on a pallet.
Not sure how he did it, but he turned the car into many little
piles of scrap, I'm told.

And speaking of large sums of money for cars, much as I expected
I didn't get $100,000 + in donations overnight, so no bids on the
GTP car.  Guess I'll just have to get a Spitfire running this spring.

mjb.

fot@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive