fot

Re: [Fot] Cometic TR3 head gasket

To: Larry Young <cartravel@pobox.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Cometic TR3 head gasket
From: Steven Belfer <colordog.1@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 18:17:38 -0700
Sure custom pistons can be ordered to whatever specs you want, but if
you want to run what you've got, perhaps this HG is a little too thick
to get the desired CR.

~Steve

On Aug 9, 2010, at 4:40 PM, Larry Young wrote:

This issue of head gasket thickness has puzzled me for some time.  I
understand why this was such a big issue in the old days, because
people used off the shelf pistons.  However, now if you're racing a
TR3 or TR4 and want 87mm forged pistons you probably have to order
them custom made from someplace like Wiseco.  Why not order them with
a greater compression height to make up for the thicker head gasket?
I believe 2.00 inches puts the top of the piston at the top of the
liner.  If you're head gasket is 0.045, you could order a 2.10
compression height for an 0.035 clearance.  This is pushing the limit,
so you'd have to be sure you've got all the correct dimensions.  Am I
missing something?
Larry Young