fot

Re: [Fot] accusump

To: WILLIAM TOBIN <william.tobin3@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] accusump
From: Larry Young <cartravel@pobox.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2010 10:06:07 -0500
I never got around to installing one in my TR3, but I was thinking of
using a small one in the engine compartment.  I believe Greg Hilyer has
his there.  You may want to consider these pressure drop calculations to
help determine the hose size.  20w-50 oil at 212 deg F flowing 2 gallons
per minute (that's 15 liters/min Chris) through a 10 ft length of AN 10,
8 or 6 hose will drop 0.9, 2.3 and 6.4 psi (6.2, 16 and 44 kPa),
respectively.  You'd probably have more pressure drop in the valves and
fittings than you would have in AN6 hose.  2 gpm would empty a 1 1/2
quart accusump in 11 seconds.  I have asked many people the flow rate
from a typical oil pump and no one seems to know. Makes me wonder about
these high flow oil pumps.  "How much does it flow?".  "Oh, I don't know."
Larry

fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html