fot

Re: [Fot] Accusump

To: Fubog1 <fubog1@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Accusump
From: Bill Babcock <billb@bnj.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 11:32:57 -0700
Of course. The question is "does that matter". Given all the resistance to
backflow of the pump and all the other stuff, and the fact that we're directly
lubing the bearings that we care about, my answer is "not much". The way you
use the accusump is you open it up, see the oil light go out, and start the
engine. You have pressure on the bearings and you backfill all the passages
from the gallery to the pump. When you punch the start button the pump starts
turning and backflow stops. Your bearing have oil under pressure from the time
the valve opens. Check valve or no check valve.

The other mode is that something makes your pump stop working--you break an
oil pump drive or suck air. In that case the accusump is generally at full
pressure and delivers oil for a pretty long time. You have more than enough
time to shut the motor down or for the oil to drop back down in the pan and
the pump to start working again.

Accusump includes a check valve (imho) because most people plumb to the oil
cooler line, and you need all the flow you can get to make that useful. Going
straight to the gallery you just don't need to optimize the accusump.

On Sep 7, 2010, at 10:19 AM, Fubog1 wrote:

> yes you are going to see the pressure that is in the accusump, but part of
the volume is going to go back through the pump, until the pump starts
working...

fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html