fot

Re: [Fot] standing starts

To: <BillDentin@aol.com>, <andre@gt6.ca>, <budscars@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] standing starts
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@spitfire4.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 18:27:43 -0600
Some years ago I did an autocross with a modified "Le Mans Start" (the
classic run-across Le Mans Start is illegal in SCCA, BTW). Drivers had two
options, both of which required him to be in the car and fully buckled up.

Option 1 was car off, hand on the key, and at "go" he'd start the car. I
found it fastest in my car to hit the key with the car already in gear,
clutch out, gas to the floor. It would buck once and go.

Option 2, for those who feared their car was hard start, was car running but
in neutral (or Park), both feet flat on the floor and both hands atop his
helmet. At "go" he could move, hit the steering wheel, gearshift and pedals
as needed.

Weird, but fun.

--Rocky Entriken