fot

Re: [Fot] Blackhawk Farms, Success with some problems

To: <BillDentin@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Blackhawk Farms, Success with some problems
From: "Tim Murphy" <timmurph@fastbytes.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 16:59:13 -0500
Thanks Bill, that procedure is just what I was looking for.  I thought there
was probably a way to do it but didn't know how.  Much appreciated.  When
Ryan comes out this week we will try that.

We are using a standard points and coil ignition system.  I'm starting to
think that we should change to another type after spending a good part of
this afternoon reading up on ignition systems on the internet.  I amazed
myself again at how much I didn't know!  The coil charge time at 6000 RPM
probably isn't enough to really saturate the core in the coil.  At the very
least I think I will increase the dwell on the points from the "nominal" 58
degrees to around 65 degrees.  Seeing as how the engine is hardly ever under
2000 RPM I'm not too worried about over heating the coil at low RPM with too
much charge current.  I've got more research to do.  What is on my mind
though is that "back in the day", before there was electronic ignitions, I'm
pretty sure folks were running 4 cylinder engines way past 6000 RPM with
good results.  Maybe they did some stuff I'm not aware of to accomplish
that.

Anybody on the list have any ideas on that?

One last point, I just measured a standard TR4 coil primary resistance and
it is 1.5 ohms.  The 3 or 4 Lucas Sport coils I've measured are all about
3.0 ohms.  I don't understand that either.

Tim