fot

Re: [Fot] VACUUM SYSTEM

To: <yellow04@tr4racer.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>, <n197tr4@cs.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] VACUUM SYSTEM
From: "Greg Solow" <gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 10:45:51 -0800
I believe that because of this possibility vacuum systems were not legal in
SCCA sports car racing. This may have changed.

    Our engine in Baby Doll V does not use a vacuum system. We have an oil
separator on the side of the block that drains back into the crankcase and
vents to the catch can, and a baffled vent on the upper side of the valve
cover. Our rear seal is a Chrysler 383 engine lip seal that is a two piece
seal that rides on the rear of the crank that has been welded and ground
smooth to the original size, but with no threads. We use permatex high temp
silicone gasket maker with felt to seal the rear cap. The engine is
completely dry running at speeds up to 7200 rpm. The catch tank usually has
nothing or just a 1/2 inch or so of oil in it. A little mist does accumulate
around the vent on the valve cover.
    The rear seal is something we developed around 1988 and have used
successfully ever since. Max's Teflon seal looks to be a promising
alternative if you are not using a "billet" crank that is custom made.

                Greg Solow
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html