fot

Re: [Fot] Rear End Ratios

To: Larry Young <cartravel@pobox.com> a=4XwCEAaBuO8A:10 a=LN3i4F1/k/EajsIx1o7IVw==:17 a=ybZZDoGAAAAA:8 a=zOoktvdPAAAA:8 a=JcvzPq48AAAA:8 a=pGLkceISAAAA:8 a=1eBET2Nvz8tB4YWO-X4A:9 a=CjuIK1q_8ugA:10 a=J0aUVQLP0FIA:10 a=m3MdUl94G8cA:10 a=qIVjreYYsbEA:10 a=MSl-tDqOz04A:10 a=sHOWtd-e_atbVIrNX18A:9 a=QEXdDO2ut3YA:10 a=_W_S_7VecoQA:10 a=tXsnliwV7b4A:10 a=f9IvlqbC3UWEGVln:21 a=LN3i4F1/k/EajsIx1o7IVw==:117 reip=0.000, cl=1, cld=1, fgs=0
Subject: Re: [Fot] Rear End Ratios
From: John Hasty <jhhasty@gdhs.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 21:41:45 -0400
Cc: "FOT@autox.team.net" <FOT@autox.team.net>
OK you guys.  Thanks. What you are telling me is to get off my ass & drive the
car!  But it is really hard @ 77 to learn too many new tricks. I've only been
at this 4 wheel stuff for 2 seasons but can bet I am gonna try.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 1, 2013, at 8:24 PM, Larry Young <cartravel@pobox.com> wrote:

> I would also consider using the OD in in other than top gear. Quick shifting
overdrive is sometimes more convenient in a tight and busy situation.  It can
also give you better gearing by splitting gears.  At Hallett there is one very
tight turn and with a close ratio gearbox, first is too low and 2nd is too
high but 1st overdrive is just right.  I didn't have an overdrive the one time
I ran at VIR, but I was so busy during the lead up to the the straight, I had
wished I had an overdrive, which only required the flick of a switch.  That
was one data point that lead to me to reinstalling the overdrive.  Again at
Hallett, the overdrive was really only needed on the straight (maybe), but I
noticed my son, Tom, would use it all over the track. It is just more
convenient.
> Larry
>
> On 7/1/2013 3:25 PM, Kas Kastner wrote:
>> That 4.55 will make you fly up the hill to the start line and off a lot of
the slow corners.  Live with it.
>> Never be beaten by equipment.
>>

>> On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 1:00 PM, Larry Young <cartravel@pobox.com> wrote:
>>> John,
>>> A 4:1 rear with overdrive (0..82) is 3.28.  Unless you've changed it since
I had it, it has a 4.55 rear, which gives 3.73 in overdrive. This is close to
the standard top gear of           3.7 which most racers run.  You must be
making good power to reach 6200 at the end of a long straight.  I think there
is something like a 4.3 R&P ratio available, but I think I would stick with
the current setup and live with 6200.  Some guys spin there motors a lot
higher than that