fot

Re: [Fot] GT6 Connecting rods

To: Scott Janzen <sjanzen@me.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] GT6 Connecting rods
From: McKearn McKearn <mckearn2@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2015 09:07:55 -0600
Cc: FOT list <fot@autox.team.net>

--001a11c2ff1c7a646a0526787439

Thanks for the replies.
    This leaves me with this question. Has anyone had an engine failure
directly related to a failed stock connecting rod that had been properly
modified according to Kas's directions?
 Thanks .  P.J.

On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 8:51 AM, Scott Janzen <sjanzen@me.com> wrote:

> The GT6 crank can withstand high RPMs, unlike the stroked TR6 crank.  A
> stock crank, balanced, nitrided and straight, is good for over 7,000 rpm
> with no issues.
>
> On Dec 9, 2015, at 9:47 AM, John Hasty wrote:
>
> No doubt that quality rods and crank are a must have for a race motor.
> Don't know what kind of cranks you GT6 guys use, but if you go for a billet
> crank I suggest you have the rod journals sized to fit good old American
> V8's...the choice of good rods in what ever length you want is infinite and
> at half the price of Carillo's...not to mention that the choice of bearings
> is also infinite...we are using Manley H beam rods from a Ford modular
> engine in one motor and Scat H beam chevy rods in the other one and have
> had no problems turning the TR3 motor to 6500 and occasionally 7000.

according to Kas&#39;s directions?</div><div>=C2=A0Thanks .=C2=A0 P.J.</div=
c 9, 2015 at 8:51 AM, Scott Janzen <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:=
blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px=
 #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div style=3D"-ms-word-wrap: break-word;">The=
 GT6 crank can withstand high RPMs, unlike the stroked TR6 crank.=C2=A0 A s=
tock crank, balanced, nitrided and straight, is good for over 7,000 rpm wit=
race motor.=C2=A0 Don&#39;t know what kind of cranks you GT6 guys use, but =
if you go for a billet crank I suggest you have the rod journals sized to f=
it good old American V8&#39;s...the choice of good rods in what ever length=
 you want is infinite and at half the price of Carillo&#39;s...not to menti=
on that the choice of bearings is also infinite...we are using Manley H bea=
m rods from a Ford modular engine in one motor and Scat H beam chevy rods i=
n the other one and have had no problems turning the TR3 motor to 6500 and =
a href=3D"mailto:fot-bounces@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank">fot-bounces@=
autox.team.net</a>] On Behalf Of Scott Janzen<br>Sent: Wednesday, December =
t] GT6 Connecting rods<br><br>I think it depends on what you want to do wit=
h the car.=C2=A0 Both my race motors have Carillo rods in them - one compon=
ent I have no worries about. Beware those pesky little bolts on the Carillo=
s - use a stretch gauge, not a torque wrench, cuz if you over-stretch one t=
hey are about $45 each, but I digress.<br><br>My motor sees 7,000 rpm five =
times a lap at Summit Point, so in a 12 lap race that&#39;s 60 cycles to re=
dline over about 20 minutes. I like having parts I can rely on.=C2=A0 There=
 are enough other weak points in a GT6 to fix!<br><br>When I originally got=
 this car, it had six beautifully lightened, balanced and shot peened stock=
 rods with ARP bolts. You could do that for a lot less money and probably b=
e fine for 6,000 rpm regularly.<br><br>So, reliable competitive race car (C=
arillo), or fast street car/back half of the pack race car (improved stock)=
, or fast race car if it doesn&#39;t blow up first (Chinese)?=C2=A0 Keep in=
 mind that back in the day they ran stock rods to 8,000 rpm.<br>If you are =
on a budget (we all are at some level, right?) and want to get on the track=
 sooner than later - go for &quot;stock&quot; and know the limitations of t=
he engine.=C2=A0 You can always upgrade later- that engine will not be &quo=
t;one and done&quot;, so you will have it apart every other year at a minim=
um and can swap out rods.<br>But I agree with Russ- don&#39;t buy the knock=
offs and delude yourself that they are as good as the real stuff- that will=
 just lead to catastrophe down the road.<br><br>Sent from my mobile device<=
br><br>On Dec 9, 2015, at 8:02 AM, Spitfire Racing &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:sp=
itfire_racing@twcny.rr.com" target=3D"_blank">spitfire_racing@twcny.rr.com<=
/a>&gt; wrote:<br><br>A properly built and modified race engine represents =
a mighty investment not only of dollars but of time. Is that really where y=
ou want to pinch pennies?<br>After all, with the exception of pistons and c=
rank that is one of the primary components and all it takes is one piece in=
side an engine to reduce all your work and investment to nothing more than =
scrap metal. One seized valve, or substandard bolt even can be a disaster. =
It doesn&#39;t take much.<br>Realize all the ancillary invested expenditure=
s that are also at risk like a weekend&#39;s entry fee you lose in an engin=
e failure; the cost of time off from work to go to a race weekend; the cost=
 of food and lodging for the race outing and the cost of just getting there=
. When asked, I usually advise folks to figure a race weekend is ~$1000 min=
imum when you roll all in.<br><br>A number of racers have run Pauter rods a=
s stated before by Bill and these do present a less expensive alternative. =
I had the opportunity to rebuild an engine last year with Pauter rods and t=
hey were quite substantial and were well designed, constructed and balanced=
. Personally I have seen far too many Chinese knock-offs; reproductions (ca=
ll them what you will), that fail to come close to the parts they try to mi=
mic.<br>I suggest you perhaps delay your build until your war chest allows =
for top quality internals. Do it once and do it right the first time and re=
duce the potential for disappointing expensive disaster.<br><br>Russ Moore<=
ref=3D"mailto:fot-bounces@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank">fot-bounces@aut=
ox.team.net</a>] On Behalf Of Jamie<br>Sent: Wednesday, December 09, 2015 6=
necting rods<br><br>Although I was initially very wary, they have worked we=
ll for over 1,000 race miles in our (horror) MGB engine.<br><br>Jamie Palme=
 McKearn &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:mckearn2@gmail.com"; target=3D"_blank">mckear=
 type=3D"cite"> =C2=A0I am looking for feedback on the MaxSpeeding connecti=
ng rods for GT6.<br></blockquote>Can&#39;t afford Carrillos and I&#39;m hop=
ing these are good. Also am still searching for an aluminum flywheel withou=
t having something custom made. and would like input on what type of clutch=
 to use as well . Lets call it a race car for the sake of argument....<br><=
blockquote type=3D"cite"> =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=
=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=
=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0Thanks.=C2=A0 P.J.=
:fot@autox.team.net" target=3D"_blank">fot@autox.team.net</a><br></blockquo=
href=3D"http://www.fot-racing.com"; target=3D"_blank">http://www.fot-racing.=
ote type=3D"cite">Donate: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; targe=
e type=3D"cite">Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"; target=3D"=
[...]