fot

[Fot] OD rebuild or T9 Trans. GT6

Subject: [Fot] OD rebuild or T9 Trans. GT6
From: sjanzen at me.com (Scott Janzen)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 14:20:31 -0500
For the race car, you can keep it in the Triumph family by using a TR6 gearbox.
 I have had this in my race car for five years now with no racing-induced
failures.  I have the close ratio gearset available from distributors of Moss
Europe, which is really much superior to stock.  Make sure you or your
assembler properly clearances the bushings however - I had a spectacular third
gear failure before the cause was determined when the gear seized on the shaft.
 The TR6 box is probably a 25 lb weight penalty, and you need to invert the
clutch throwout bearing fork, make a bracket to support the slave cylinder in a
new location, weld in a simple bracket to support the stock TR6 transmission
rear mount, and modify the driveshaft, and a few other minor things.

Good news is, the gearboxes are widely available for very cheap, the close
ratio gears cost less than $1,000, a TR6 engine plate bolts right up to the GT6
engine or you can drill one more bolt hole in the GT6 plate to accept the TR6
box, and the shift lever is in exactly the same location.

Read your club?s rules - SVRA allows this, or did, some clubs say you need the
same number of forward gears, so you have the overdrive exemption that allows a
five speed, but some clubs, for example VRG, require that your gearbox have the
same external casting as stock, but internals are free.

I happily traded vintage purity for reliability and a weight penalty, since I
was replacing gearboxes every other race weekend.  Now the weak link in the
driveline is the diff, which seems to fail every three years or so.