Re: [Healeys] air ducting kit

To: Roger Grace <roggrace@telus.net>, Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] air ducting kit
From: kees via Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2021 09:02:18 +0200 (CEST)
Cc: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>

------=_Part_663956_1506032751.1622962938961

Gear reduction starters for classic cars are usually modified items from modern
cars. Often the cheapest starters are chosen to modify. I often hear stories
about bad reliability. The original starters in our old bangers have survived
well over half a century of neglect and if going wrong are imminently
rebuildable. Why replacing something that is working perfectly fine?

If you are worried about the starter take it out, dismantle, clean, lubricate
the bearings (but no oil on the shaft and the inertia gear, just some graphite
powder) and it will be good for another 50 years or so. In very rare instances
the collector may need some attention on a lathe, undercutting the insulation
and new brushes. Sometimes the bronze bushes need replacing due to lack of
maintenance, did you ever supply a drop of oil to the rear bearing bush?!!

------=_Part_663956_1506032751.1622962938961

<!DOCTYPE html>

--===============6279820426377821356==