Re: shop tips

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: shop tips
From: Chuck Rothfuss <crothfuss@coastalnet.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 06:44:21 -0400
At 04:51 AM 4/8/99 -0700, Keith Turk wrote:
>I thought I would throw this out here and see what you all thought was the
>best Idea you ever had in your shop....

  Neat idea Keith.  I've got lots of odd stuff in my garage, since I'm so
cramped, but here's a tip on fitting roll cages that worked out great for me.
This is extremely low tech, and you guys with joint jiggers can ignore this.
What I started with from S&W Racecars was a pile of tubes.  No notches.  So
for each type of joint on the car I made one perfect notch, slowly fitting
it with the grinder.  Once that one was done I wrapped a split toilet paper
tube around the end of the joint, taped it in place and cut it to match the
notch.  This way I could transfer the majority of the good notches shape to
another piece, orient it where it needed to be and chop the other notches
out with the big grinder.  I even kept these patterns around by laying them
out flat in a drawer.  Til I get a joint jigger I'll always have them around
to get me started on those freehand joints.

  I'll see what else I can come up with later, I'm gonna be late for work if
I don't get going

"Cheap" Chuck Rothfuss
ECTA