Re: Salt & RPMs

To: kturk@ala.net
Subject: Re: Salt & RPMs
From: John Beckett <johnbeck@blueridge.cc.nc.us>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 10:02:34 -0400
        Keith,

        I guess the max RPM I have ever run a Bonneville is 8,000. Have made
lots
of runs in the 7,800 range with lots of success. Ran 8,200 once at Maxton,
and everything seemed to live OK, but no gain in speed.
        My recomendation is not to gear it for more than 8,000 RPM, that way you
will be able to enjoy it for many runs to come.

        John

At 06:54 AM 4/15/99 -0400, Joseph Timney wrote:
>Keith,
>I have to agree with Tom, that high of RPM will cost you more than you
will gain. We have drag raced that combination in the past and would not
run alumunium rods unless I know exactly how many runs were on the rods and
at what conditions the motor saw...how high was it reved, how often, etc.
The other thing is valve springs. We ran a 287 inch combo, 8700 off the
line, 9200 shift point and 9700 in the lights. It ran on the record but...
broken valve springs, spanned rocker arms, cracked piston lands, etc ( read
that total motor trauma ). Why not use a set of Crower steels ( nice rods
and reasonable priced ) and keep the r's down. Wearing a motor out is a
financially rewarding thing!

>>From the description of your motor,  I still stand by my RPM comments.
Sounds
>very similar to the motor I ran a few years back. I ran Crane heads that were
>excessively milled to get a 52 cc. chamber. I am now running Chev Bow-Tie
Heads
>that are
>angle milled to the max, trying to maintain the 12.5:1  compression ratio
I was
>running with the other heads. My pistons regularly contact the heads very
>lightly. I am now using steel rods, but in the early eighties, Terry Elledge
>was helping me with my motors. He built one that had approximately 13.5:1,
>using Bill Miller aluminum rods. The third pull (7700 RPM) on the dyno put #1
>rod on the floor. All the pistons were "hitting" the heads.  As a Nascar
engine
>builder, he normally use the steel rods, so I think he miscalculated the
amount
>of stretch.
>
>Just remember that the 1/4 mile top RPM is for a couple of seconds, much
>different than at the Salt.  What is a problem at 9000 may not be at 8000.
I am