To Duct or not to Duct, That is the Question...

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: To Duct or not to Duct, That is the Question...
From: "Lawrence E. Mayfield" <mayfield@traveller.com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 16:34:12
I eresting comments abot vents, ducts etc. But, I really differ on some of
the notational comments. First, a vent is the plane in the pipe where the
gas exits. It is not the pipe that carries it, nor is a duct a vent. The
place where the air goes in, is an INTAKE, not a vent or duct. Intakes and
vents are at either end of the duct. Think about your air conditioning
system, the place where the air exits is the vent, the place where the air
goes in is the intake, and that square pipe that carries the air around is
the duct. I know we have called the NACA intakes, ducts but they are truley
not.

Now having said that, I do not have a clue as to how the inspectors view
the rules and descriptions and usages. I would like to suggest that the
owners of the various venues, somehow get together to define the different
terms and usages. For one thing,. this would pass along the hard gained
experience of the older members of this sport.

L.E. Mayfield
124 Maximillion Drive
Madison, Al. 35758-8171
1-256-837-1051

http://www.hsv.tis.net/~mayfield

DrMayf@AOL.com
mayfield@traveller.com <<<<preferred

Bonneville Land Speed Racer, '66 Hydroplane Drag Boat (390 FE)