Muroc

To: Land Speed <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Muroc
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 13:09:10 -0700
Hello to all,

We have completed our first race date of the season, returning from
Muroc Sunday night at Midnight. It was a good weekend for us. We made
three runs at 189+, 190+, and 191+. Started out with a gear that was a
little tall (7600=207), then dropped to (8000=201).

I took the first ride and found the car very stable and minimal dust
inside, 7000 through the lights for 189+. With a gear change, Jeff ran
through the lights at 7400 for 190+, feeling a little uneasy with the
ride he was very cautious. The last run he felt much more comfortable,
(saying it was the most stable run he had ever made) peaking the RPMs at
7400 and flat for 1/4 mile before the lights. I think the reason it
peaked was because it was too rich. It should have easily gone to 7600+.
I was opting to play it safe because this is my motor for Speedweek.

It was a great meet. Vesco had both streamliners there, Fast Freddy took
top time with a 291+ pass. Weather was hot, as usual, with wind at about
45 degrees to the course at the right rear of the car most of the time.

Rich Fox dropped by my pit and introduced himself. He said they had lost
the transmission in their car.

Looking forward to Speedweek. I was told the the Salt is mostly dry at
this time, with some water in the middle of the International Course.

Tom