Re: Connecting rods

To: John Beckett <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: Connecting rods
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 16:31:16 -0700
When I ran stock rods in the Desoto, I ran a six carb set up on a
homemade log manifold with a pressure tank feeding the carbs. We lost
lots of rods. Luckily, with the Desoto, they usually broke close to the
big end and didn't do lots of damage, often I could have it going again
in a couple of hours. But when I retired the Desoto, it had five
cylinder sleeves because of rod breakage and the last on didn't seal out
the water so I finally changed to the Chevy.

In that case we finally found out that that the carbs we bleeding fuel
over into the cylinders causing a hydraulic bending of the rods which
would then break under RPM. On the Chevys I lost several stock rods.
Fatigue and spun bearings were the culprit. With both aluminum and steel
rods it was bearing failure that took them out, not failure of the rods
themselves. In one case, lack of deck clearance got an aluminum rod on
the engine dyno.

You are right John. We shouldn't blame the rods, it is usually other
contributing factors.

Tom