Re: Cosworth Vega Engine

To: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Subject: Re: Cosworth Vega Engine
From: Dave Mann <davemann@roadsters.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 16:15:17 -0700 (PDT)
At Speed Week I was able to meet Sonni Rossi from Texas. He and his wife
Dixie were racing their '23 T Modified Roadster. (Sonni is also a
contributor to Street Rodder magazine and formerly wrote for Hot Rod
Mechanix.) Sonni's car is powered by a Vega engine. Although there must be
others, this is the only Vega-powered race car I've heard of in some time.

Years ago there were some sprint car racers trying them but I would think
that the Pinto-based engines are far more popular in those classes. The
Vega seems to have faded away while several companies like Esslinger
Engineering make all you need to make a Pinto engine scream.

I'd get a copy of Hemmings and locate the Cosworth Vega Owners Club, and
let them know about what you have. There's no doubt it's a rare piece. You
just have to find someone that needs one and doesn't mind the new sleeves
in the block.

I owned a '72 Vega GT hatchback in '73, with the "Deluxe" interior that
consisted of fake wood and fake leather which nicely complemented the fake
glass and fake wool carpets. After I bought it I put it up on a hoist, and
once I realized how much plastic there was on the car I was afraid to
leave it parked in the sun.

Nonetheless, to this day I continue to believe in my heart that General
Motors really loves me.

Dave Mann

Webmaster, Roadsters
http://roadsters.com/