RE: LSR

To: "'John Beckett'" <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>, dferguso@ebmail.gdeb.com,
Subject: RE: LSR
From: "Ferguson, Darrell" <dfergus@bactc.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 15:27:24 -0700
Ok John,

        While I side with my brother as far as- "if you're gonna go- go all
the way", and I realize not everyone can afford to run what they'd want to (
I can barely afford Blown Fuel), I repeatedly see guys that go out of there
way just to get a record. For me, an official record is little more than a
piece of paper. There are a lot of guys who build AWESOME cars and run in
tough classes and never get records, but a guy who stumbles across an easy
record with a so so car gets all kinds of recognition. To me, this belittles
the guy who's giving it his all to have the fastest ride he can build.
         Now my brother and I argue this with my father all the time. He
points out that some guys are trying to prove how fast they can go with a
Vega engine, or a Pinto engine etc.. OK, that's not my thing, but if that's
what you're into, knock yourself out. Where I have a problem is when I see a
guy take a hemi, and remove 4 rods and pistons, put bobweights on the crank,
back off the rockers, and ground out 4 of his magneto leads just to run in a
lesser class. To go out of your way to go slower just to grab a record
defeats the purpose of racing. My theory is to go as fast as possible with
what you've got. I could have stepped my engine up 9 cubic inches and run on
a record that's 22 mph slower, but I had a class B engine, so that's what
I'm running. If I had the cash, I would have AA motor and run against a 290
mph record. Why you ask? Because for me it's not about proving how fast a I
can make a dump truck motor go, it's about building a machine to go as fast
as I possibly can. Believe me, the first time I hurt my 431inch Rat, I'll be
building a 600+ inch tall deck !

Darrell Ferguson
BLACK RADON ENGINEERING
# 939 BBFALT