RE: LSR

To: "'Dick Jurkowski'" <lsr_man@yahoo.com>, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: LSR
From: "Ferguson, Darrell" <dfergus@bactc.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 09:02:30 -0700
Dick

        I must not be coming across the way that I hoped. I'm not trying to
put down guys running in lower classes, as a matter of fact, many of those
cars impress me. I particularly like the Mcbride & Moreau streamliner that
runs a - Kawasaki Motorcycle engine on nitrous. Again I realize that not
everyone has the cash to run Blown Hemis on Nitro, but I am often baffled by
some of the combinations that I see at Bonneville. Not because they are
different, or don't rattle your fillings loose when it idles, but because
the individual is making a concerted effort to run the car in a slower
class. Case in point would be Al Teague, a man whom I have idolized and
respected from the time I was 14. The person, who has always been my
inspiration to run at Bonneville. A backyard hotrodder who built the fastest
wheel driven vehicle, a car that has surpassed such legends as the Goldenrod
and Mickey Thompson's Challenger. A car that he built out of a 1 car garage.
I've been baffled with his obsession to claim the CBFS record. Not because
of his desire to add another record to his long list of land speed
accomplishments, but because here is a man that I feel all of us admire,
seemingly sitting back to watch as guys like Vesco and Burkland threaten to
besiege his throne. Perhaps he is waiting for someone to take his record, so
he can reclaim it in grand style. I do not know. I can only hope that since
he's claimed the class C record that he is setting his sights on staying out
in front of the competition.

                Sincerely,  Darrell Ferguson