Tires

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tires
From: "John Beckett" <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 18:31:00 -0500
Team

Awhile back someone commented on tires at Bonneville. I can't find the old
e-mail so I don't remember who it was, but I wanted to add my two cents.

Over the years, on my comp coupe, I have run Goodyear NASCAR Daytona's,
Goodyear Frontrunners and Mickey Thompson Bonneville tires on the rear. Have
run them all in the 220 + MPH range. When you discount any potential chassis
problems, water on the salt, etc. the NASCAR Daytona and the M/T Bonneville
worked just fine. The Goodyear Frontrunner was down right scary. I most
definitely didn't like the 220 + MPH ride, with the tread parting company
from the carcass at speed.

I believe someone said the wider NASCAR Daytona's won't work on the salt,
siting Ron Pruetts BRN article. I would have to disagree, having driven with
them myself, Gale Banks ran them on his 270 MPH Firebird and even this year
Calvin Smith ran 260's using the very same tires. Don Stringfellow and
others have also run them successfully. They can and do work well. The only
reason I'm not currently running Daytona's is they wont' fit within the
fenders of my Chevette.

Another thing to consider here is that, to some extent, the supply of LSR
tires is drying up. Example: not to long ago there were about six sizes of
M/T tires, now were down to only three. The popular 27.5 x 8-15 is out of
production. Who knows what will happen when the other sizes are sold out.
Fortunately Goodyear still has some Eagle Land Speed tires (not
Frontrunners), but the rating is 300 MPH which won't help Al Teague much.

And then there is the tire situation at Maxton. Another story.

John Beckett