Re: Tires

To: "Wester S Potter" <wspotter@jps.net>,
Subject: Re: Tires
From: "John Beckett" <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 15:21:58 -0500
    "Centrifugal force/tread weight, rolling resistance/heat and wind
resistance are the greatest reasons to run narrower tires on the salt if you
subscribe to those earlier premises of tire construction. Remember the red
Ford GT40 that went over a couple of years ago with the fat tires?   Wes"

    Wes I agree that all these factors come into play when running tires on
the Salt. However the Goodyear engineers, who are better able to evaluate
these factors than I, still recomend them. As far as running on you roof is
concerned, there are probably more cars with skinny tires that have done
that than wide ones.

    I just wish there was a bigger selection at affordable prices. The last
time I checked the 30 x 9-18 M/T was over $400. (and how much does an 18"
wheel cost now?) and I can't get anything in a comparable size to run at
Maxton. I really would like to see the 27.5 x 8-15 M/T come back again.

    John Beckett