Re: Front Brakes

To: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Front Brakes
From: "John Beckett" <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 11:05:59 -0500
    Good topic. Looking back on ECTA meets..."all" the problems we have had
have been with cars that didn't have front brakes...which isn't to say that
lack of front brakes caused the problem...but it sure made recovery
difficult. Because of SCTA rules it's hard to mandate front brakes...but
ECTA whole heartily recommends them on all vehicles.

    Here's another story relating to my own braking experience. I had a
problem in Lionel's 427 BB powered rear engined Lakester one day at Maxton.
This was a rear brake only car, as many are. While making a 200+ MPH run the
left rear axle broke...causing the left brake pad to fall out...not to
mention a rather hard pull to the left also. After crossing the finish line
the chute got tangled on the battery box...and when I started to use the
brakes there weren't any...the pedal went to the floor. Now you have to tell
yourself in these situations, at these speeds, don't panic...well Good Luck
with that...it's pucker time.

    At Maxton if you use up your 4,500+' of shut down you have three
choices: 1, Bear left cross the back side of the main runway and turn left
again onto the large apron that parallels the main runway...this is probably
the best choice as there is another 4,000' of apron to run on. 2, Go
straight onto the tall grass, but it only goes for about 1000' with a chain
link fence keeping you from running onto the road...please miss the ILS
building as it will cost you $500,000. 3, Pull a hard right at the end of
the long shutdown and continue coasting up the return road...ever try to
make a hard turn with a 230" WB car and a butterfly steering wheel? It
worked for me however, only because the one rear brake that was still
working, and engine compression, did slow the car marginally, and I set
myself up for the turn, pulling left and then right up the return road.

I'd like to tell you that it was a cool head that saved the day. I had tried
to think and plan for what I would do under these situations. The reality is
that it was much more likely the grace of God that saved the day instead. If
I had only had front brakes I don't believe it would have been quite such a
panic situation. My advice...try not to panic...think...plan ahead...there
are alternatives.

Best of all install front brakes.

John "got no brakes" Beckett