Re: Hot Rod dis...

To: edvs@idt.net, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hot Rod dis...
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 13:56:01 EST
In a message dated 12/17/1999 9:38:15 AM Pacific Standard Time, edvs@idt.net
writes:

<<  paradox with Hot Rod is they still have a dinosaur there (probably our
age)
 in Gray Baskerville. Gray is a hot rodder & USED to cover Bonneville
annually,
 but the money today  is probably used to cover burn-out contests. With
Peterson
 Publishing running the premier hot-rodding museum in So. Cal. , you would
expect
 better treatment of the Geezers that built the cars that made the museum a
 success. Yes, Ken Walkey's name is on the wall there, along with all of the
 B'ville 200 Club Members. I doubt if any of the drones working for Hot Rod
today
 will ever find their names there.........
 J >>
Group,
    When you mention "Yer Old Dad" as Baskerville loves to call himself, his
credentials are NIL. He ran a SBC powered altered roadster in the "old-days"
with unknown success. A few years ago Brizio replicated the roadster and
donated it to him out of gratitude for the ink given him by HRM and the other
rags Baskerville writes for.. When they raced the thing he had Pete Eastwood
do the driving. Baskerville and I are the same age. When he decided not to
drive the car himself I was campaigning my replica 120", 9second rail.
    Several years ago Baskerville wrote an article about USFRA's WOS and the
200 MPH cars that were there in abundance. He also panned the "slower-cars"
that they allowed to run at WOS. Hell, if the sanctioning organizations had
to pay for a meet with the income from 200+MPH cars alone the sport would die.
    Because of his seniority with HRM Baskerville has not only set himself up
as a journalist, he seems to consider himself an authority on vintage hot
rods and hot rodding. He probably has a small cue card in his pocket at all
times to remind him which end of the race cars the big tires go on.
    Guys like Ganahl do project cars with donated parts and labor, for which
the writer gives the provider "ink" in the rag they write in. The only
journalist I ever saw with grease on his hands was the late Tom Senter,
writer and editor for Rod & Custom in the 70's.
    Unless you're in the "Billet-Buddy-Club" your chances of seeing the
average street rod in one of the rags is nil.
    My $.25 worth............Ardun Doug in Ca