Re: Hot Rod dis...

To: "John Beckett" <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: Hot Rod dis...
From: Wester S Potter <wspotter@jps.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 07:31:17 -0700
January 2000, page 12, titled Eww.  Don't buy the issue, it isn't worth it.
Here's the whole thing, without their italics.

I cannot believe some of the erranious [sic] things you people print. {like
your spelling of erronious?--Ed.]  The Worlds Fastest Small Block Chevy?
Well, a 5.87 e.t. and 232 mph is respectable... if you're only running 1320
feet.  Now let's talk about Terry Nish and Sons of Salt Lake City, Utah...
348 mph and an e.t. of less than 3 seconds--naturally aspirated!  They're
just shifting out of Second at 232 mph and hanging onto it for 5 miles.
We're talking Bonneville Salt Flats!
Ken Walkey
Granada Hills, CA

The editor wrote;

Well, you are.  We weren't.  Coonce's tale, not stated but obvious to all
except those who need to be spoon-fed was limited to drag racing.  Sorry if
that wasn't made clear.  Ed.

My take is that stupid people, in positions where they have no clue about
what they are doing, should keep their mouths shut.  Ro McGonegal the
aforementioned "Ed." needs to listen to Steve Campbell, his immediate boss,
    <campbels@petersenpub.com>, who at least is willing to talk to
representatives from the salt flats racing organizations.  Ro does know
better I'm sure, but has sooo...  little exposure.  Let's face it, he's no
Wally Parks or Ray Brock or any number of other HR editors who knew what
they were doing on the salt and made it there year after year.  [See
PHOTOGALLERY in the saltflats.com web page for a photo of Wally with Don
Cash.  Ray was behind me when I shot the
photo]

Tell Hot Rod;

Ken Walkey Racing Ltd., "Gramp's Toy" streamliner, ran 295.641 in '98 driven
by Ken Walkey.  Oh yes, Ken was at World Finals after bypass surgery in
early August.
Wes

> From: "John Beckett" <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>
> To: "Wester S Potter" <wspotter@jps.net>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
> Subject: Re: Hot Rod dis...
> Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 08:45:22 -0500
>
>What issue was it in? If they have an e-mail address we should let them
know
>how we feel. Maybe that attitude is why we seldom see anything on
Bonneville