FIA Records, introduction and other thoughts.

To: LSR List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: FIA Records, introduction and other thoughts.
From: Malcolm Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2000 17:40:28 -0500

From:   Malcolm Pittwood,

Date:   1/2/100  9:56 PM

RE:     FIA Records, introduction and other thoughts.

Hello List,
As a 'lurker' it has taken until the new millennium for me to introduce
myself and take part in the lively exchange of comments here on the list.
The FIA records are looked after by an american - Burdette Martin who is
Chairman of the FIA Records Commission based at ACCUS was fax (547) 272
0101.  Make a specific request on the capacity class you are interested in
- remember that the FIA have no classification by body types.  The FIA
rules only divide by cubic capacity for petrol and diesel internal
combustion; weight for electric, steam and turbine; and its unlimited for
all thrust powered vehicles.
The ACCUS should have the FIA rules for record attempts in hard copy if the
regulations are not on the FIA web site.
As the FIA only recognise their International records you will not find any
Bonneville BNI/USFRA/LSA speeds listed in their information !!
Real Speed - only thrust power will do.  Why work with pistons if you want
to run fast ?
Facts - it was americans who rode rough shod over the FIA rules on
automobiles to establish thrust powered records in the 60's.  Only since
1983 did the Brits (R Noble & A Green) have vehicles capable of setting
speeds over the rocket power of Blue Flame but then Andy did it in style -
'boom boom'.
Turbines- if you develop a turbo charged 4 stroke or 2 stroke engine to the
extremes possible, including feeding back the rotational turbocharger shaft
power to the crankshaft of the power unit (engine) by "compounding", you
end up creating a gas turbine.  I have been interested in the dislike
created by the Vesco Turbinator amongst some 4 stroke teams.  Lets face it
if you wish to drive a shaft connected to the wheels why not use an
appropriate power unit ?
So who is Malcolm Pittwood ?
I do not hold any speed records.   I am a Fuel and Combustion Engineer
based in England, with a 37 year interest in cars and speed record
breaking.  I used to work on circuit racing saloons (sedans in the USA) but
then took an interest in pure straight line speed.  For the last 5 years I
have been Chairman of the Speed Record Club (producers of Fast Facts
Magazine).
I organise speed record attempts here in the UK and in the USA (at
Bonneville in 1999) for British teams - Primetime Jet Power, Bluebird
Electric, Team Maximum Impulse (yes, the triple rocket powered motorcycle
of Richard Brown).  I also work with other UK teams when I have a spare
moment, including one using a gas turbine helicopter engine.  I have a
steam rocket powered car in my two car garage alongside a jet turbine
engine.  In storage is a diesel engined streamliner which I own and am
having assembled for a young driver.  Last summer I had a 'guest drive' in
the Vampire jet dragster of Colin Fallows of the Primetime team just 24
hours after he broke the UK Outright record.
As Project Administrator for Richard 'Rocketman' Brown for the last three
years I feel it has to be acknowledged that if you want an official FIA or
FIM World Record you have to use rocket (or two jet power).  Even then you
don't always get the record first time - Richard went 333 mph average over
the kilo in the Gillette mach 3 Challenger, but only one way.
Why don't more nationalities join in speed record breaking ?  Why don't
more americans attempt FIA records with their cars and FIM records with
their bikes.  Hey, you guys didn't even support Denis Manning at his 'bike
only meeting' on the salt last september ?
At least this should welcome in the new year with lots of response on the
list !!
Malcolm Pittwood living in Derby, (initial home of Rolls Royce when the
Brits owned the car maker), East Midlands, England. 21.56 GMT.