RE: Where would a modified Opel GT fit?

To: "'Richard Kensicki'" <richk@sparta-junction.com>,
Subject: RE: Where would a modified Opel GT fit?
From: "Ron Christensen" <ron.christensen@wsapr.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 08:03:49 -0700
Just in case no one has gotten back to you on your Opel question . . . With
other than a stock type engine it would be a Modified Sports.  Bill Ward has
been running the fastest Opel in the world at Bonneville for the last 10
years or so.  My wife Ellen had the priviledge of driving it at 213 a year
before she died of cancer.  Bill's regular driver John Paxon, has been over
250 in it and still holds a few records.  Bill spent many years getting it
aerodynamically stable with the use of wings and weight.  He still runs it
at the STOCK wheelbase which makes it the fastest car with a short wheelbase
by far!  The recent development in long wheelbase cars in Modified Sports
has made it more difficult for Bill to hang on to some of his records.
Also, in Modified Sports, you can run an open car which has made his
competition more aerodynamic.  All the really quick M/S cars are roadsters
like the Sprite, Alfa and Berkley.  In M/S you can chop the top which is
what I would do if I was running an Opel.  The stock roof on an Opel stands
up pretty tall.   Ron 1610AM