CHECKING CUBES

To: dwarner@electrorent.com, lemay@hiwaay.net, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: CHECKING CUBES
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 15:37:09 EST
       Dan,  Mayf,  list  ,     Just a thought here  ........  At every
engine displacement
check  (  usually as the result of a protest  )   I  have been present at  ,
both  at
the drag strip and the stock car ovals here in the  Northeast ,  where the
method
is the "  pumping  "  one ,  often referred to as  "  P  and  G - ing  "  the
 motor ,
the cylinder   TEMPERATURE  was measured immediately prior to the attachment
of the air pump ,  and the resultant temperature reading was factored in ,
with a
correction chart ,  to give a reading with a higher degree of accuracy .
Some of these motors were crackling hot ,  after  a  100  lap feature race ,
plus some
yellow flag laps in between ,  on a hot summer afternoon or evening  .
While
it is more accurate to use the mikes right in the engine , "  where the
ACTION  is  ",
most competitors don' t wish to pull a head off ,  especially at midnight or
later
at some dusty outside pit area location  ,  and  will generally agree to the
pump
method as the final say on the engine' s legality  .      IF  the
displacement can
be checked with a high degree of accuracy ,    UTILIZING  the temp correction
factor ,   then it seems this would preclude such somewhat extreme measures
as cooling down the motor with  DRY  ICE  .     We  used to cool engines
between rounds with ice from our coolers ,  and  I  have never seen one  iced
down for measurement purposes ,  but this just proves my observation that no
matter what our racing experience ,  or how lengthy ,  we can  ALL  learn
MANY
things here on this list  !     I  can see where the dry ice would sure
hasten up the
normalization of the engine' s specs  .    Many years ago ,  the boys and  I
put
an axle bearing on the axle ,  when no press was available ,  by  sticking
the axle
in a snowbank  ( really )  and the bearing in the kitchen oven  (  BRIEFLY
),  and
it did the job  .     Backyard engineering saved the day ,  or as my  Dad
always
told me  -----   Necessity  is  the  Mother  of   Invention   .
               Bruce  on  sunny  warmer  Connecticut  shoreline  -----