Re: CHECKING CUBES

To: FastmetalBDF@aol.com, dwarner@electrorent.com, lemay@hiwaay.net,
Subject: Re: CHECKING CUBES
From: "Lawrence E. & Cathy R. Mayfield" <lemay@hiwaay.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 04:30:05
I suspect that the temperature being checked before the measurement is the
ambient air temperature and not the engine. I have never witnessed this so
I am talking through my hat here. But the point I was shooting for was the
cheating of the system by not measuring at ambient temperature. This is
cheating, pure and simple. Hell, why not heat the bore gage or micrometer
until it is so hot that it has to be handled with gloves? Same thing, not a
TRUE measurement of the dimension. Plain cheating the system. Any records
set using a method like this should be voided. Measurements should be taken
only after both the tool and the thing being measured have reached the same
temperature after a soaking period.

my $0.02 and worth every penny...

mayf
At 03:37 PM 2/15/00 EST, FastmetalBDF@aol.com wrote:
>       Dan,  Mayf,  list  ,     Just a thought here  ........  At every
>engine displacement
>check  (  usually as the result of a protest  )   I  have been present at
,
>both  at
>the drag strip and the stock car ovals here in the  Northeast ,  where the
>method
>is the "  pumping  "  one ,  often referred to as  "  P  and  G - ing  "
the
> motor ,
>the cylinder   TEMPERATURE  was measured immediately prior to the attachment
>of the air pump ,  and the resultant temperature reading was factored in ,
>with a
>correction chart ,  to give a reading with a higher degree of accuracy .
>Some of these motors were crackling hot ,  after  a  100  lap feature race
,
>plus some
>yellow flag laps in between ,  on a hot summer afternoon or evening  .
>While
>it is more accurate to use the mikes right in the engine , "  where the
>ACTION  is  ",
>most competitors don' t wish to pull a head off ,  especially at midnight or
>later
>at some dusty outside pit area location  ,  and  will generally agree to the
>pump
>method as the final say on the engine' s legality  .      IF  the
>displacement can
>be checked with a high degree of accuracy ,    UTILIZING  the temp correction
>factor ,   then it seems this would preclude such somewhat extreme measures
>as cooling down the motor with  DRY  ICE  .     We  used to cool engines
>between rounds with ice from our coolers ,  and  I  have never seen one  iced
>down for measurement purposes ,  but this just proves my observation that no
>matter what our racing experience ,  or how lengthy ,  we can  ALL  learn
>MANY
>things here on this list  !     I  can see where the dry ice would sure
>hasten up the
>normalization of the engine' s specs  .    Many years ago ,  the boys and
>put
>an axle bearing on the axle ,  when no press was available ,  by  sticking
>the axle
>in a snowbank  ( really )  and the bearing in the kitchen oven  (  BRIEFLY
>),  and
>it did the job  .     Backyard engineering saved the day ,  or as my  Dad
>always
>told me  -----   Necessity  is  the  Mother  of   Invention   .
>               Bruce  on  sunny  warmer  Connecticut  shoreline  -----

L.E. Mayfield
124 Maximillion Drive
Madison, Al. 35758-8171
ph: 1-256-837-1051

http://home.hiwaay.net/~lemayf

lemay@hiwaay.net

Sunbeam Tiger, B9471136
Sunbeam Alpine Bonneville Land Speed Racer,
'66 Hydroplane Drag Boat (390 FE)