Salt build-up & Chuck's e-mail

To: Skip Higginbotham <saltrat@pro-blend.com>
Subject: Salt build-up & Chuck's e-mail
From: Finishline Coatings <lona@finishlinecoatings.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 12:45:04 -0800
Hi Skip and List:
Yes, we do have coatings for brakes.  I will share with you how we
developed these coatings.
About 5 years ago Marlo Treit came to us with a problem with his brakes
on the Lakester.  "Rust"!!!
He had tried painting them, powder coating, epoxy and nothing they put
on stayed.  The salt throw back from the front tires would blast it
off.  So we developed what we call our 300 MPH coating. This is a moly
based polymar that has enough elastic to absorb the impact of the salt
then bounce off without breaking the adhesion of the coating.   It is a
very
slippery coating and even on rough surfaces it is so slippery that salt
and mud just rub off.  Marlo's rear end and brake parts have been done
for 4 years now and no sign of rust.  The coating should last for ever.
We do not coat the actual pad surface of the rotors so don't clean them
up.  I want to see where the pads run.  We coat everything else on the
rotors.  We coat all brackets , calipers, the back side of the pads and
the face of the pistons that ride against the pads.  For those of you
that would like to talk to Marlo about all the things that we coat on
his car, his e-mail is  MTreit@aol.com.
While I'm at it, I'll mention a couple of things about exhaust systems
(again).
Chuck, if you are running 1800 degrees, you need that system coated.  We
do lots of turbo rotary exhaust.  Don't use heat wrap as it destroys the
metal.  The people that developed it should be wrapped up with it and
stuck in the ground!!!  These are pretty strong words, but the stuff is
junk-for exhaust!!  Stainless steel is no good for exhaust either unless
you coat it.  I don't care what Burns Stainless says.  They are lying.
Stainless is a radiator of heat. I've done the tests and have the
results to prove it.  Stainless also, is very unstable in heat
conductivity - thats why stainless cooking pans have to be copper or
aluminum plated on the outside.  I could go on for hours about the
negative side of stainless but I better not.  You do not need to spend
that kind of money on your exhaust systems.
O.K., I'll stop for now.  This will get the e-mail on the list started.
Russ-#902 XO  M.R.
The Garbage Truck Motor Man