Re: Land Speed Races

To: lsr_man@yahoo.com, salt@ivic.net, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Land Speed Races
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 12:27:24 EST
        Hello  Dick ,  Wendy ,  and  list  :      I think it is of interest
to many of us
where most all of the locations of organized,  or sanctioned,  speed trials ,
 both
past and present ,  were,  and are, presently, held .    I ,  myself ,  have
two
questions  -------  what / when  were  any events held in , or near
Moultrie, Georgia,
and what is the facility there ,  an  airfield, or old military air base  ?
       Secondly,  when talking about earlier years of dry lakes racing ,  it
seems
that most of the activities discussed are those of the  (  best known  )
sanctioning
body ,  the  SCTA  , our current group  --------  but in days gone by ,
there was
also the Russetta  organization ,  and another group ,  seldom mentioned in
recent
years ,  known as  Cal / Neva  .    I  have often wondered if this group
actually held
any events in  Nevada  -------  or only at  Muroc ,  El  Mirage ,  Rosamond ,
 or
Harper's  dry lakes  ?    I  believe some of our  ( slightly )  older members
have
much knowledge on this earlier era ,  and  might be willing to share some of
the
facts and details on these events with all here on this list  .    Hopefully
,  any
historical information forthcoming will also be readily stored in the files
of our own
"  Land  Speed  Louise  "  Noeth,  for use in her next ( ? ) book  ------
the treatise
on the history of   DRY   LAKES   RACING   !        The space for that one is
already
reserved on my " all  time  best  "  shelf ,  Louise  !
      Waiting to hear from some of you longtime left - coast  salt / dirt
runners or
wrenches or spectators that ,  like me ,  are old enough to remember  Pearl
Harbor
 --------  or wearing  knickers ( !!! ) to school  --------
     Bruce   F .       ---------  looking forward to meeting some of you at
El  Mirage